One Man's Alaska

Talkeetna or bust

June 1, 2007

I've been sick today -- my allergies have wailed on me again -- and ended up laying around the hotel room all day, which gave me plenty of time to think.

After all this thinking, I sent the following email to the owners of the cabin in Talkeetna:

I'd like to take the rental with you. Before you agree, I want you to know that there is a good chance that I won't stay after September, and I want you to be as comfortable with that as you can be. I'd like to give it a try, but I don't know how I'll do with the winter and the dark, and there are also people trying to get me to go back to work. Maybe it's a 50/50 chance that I stay past September, I don't really know.

For argument's sake let's say I leave in September -- can you let me know what the total price would be if I do that?

Wow, I guess I just decided to go for the "full experience", moose walking down the roads, hiking, biking, fishing (me?), three hours from Denali, and no nearby Starbucks, Panera Bread, Barnes & Noble, or fast food ... nothing.

OMG -- what have I just done?!

back to the One Man's Alaska front page